Last Updated on
The day when your braces get off gives you one of the most exciting feelings during your entire orthodontic treatment. However, this feeling can be messed up by the presence of white spots on your teeth. One common question in this field is whether braces do cause white lesions at the teeth’s surface after successful orthodontic treatment.
Is it possible to fix those white spots after the completion of the treatment? In this article, I hope to answer these questions as well as let you understand the main reason a person gets white spots on his or her teeth after treatment by the use of braces.
People Also Ask
- Can you fix white spots from braces?
- How do I get rid of white marks on my teeth?
- Can white spots on teeth go away?
- Why do my retainers have white marks?
People Have Answers
What are White spots?
- When minerals are taken away from a tooth, the way it reflects light changes. The area that is mostly affected by white lesions is between the brackets and the gums, where it is usually difficult to brush. In most cases, white spots will always develop under swollen gums, and this makes it difficult to detect them until the braces have been removed.
- Studies conducted at universities have shown that white spots are very common with adolescents. In fact, 24% of white lesions occur among adolescents who have never used braces as a means of teeth correction. This is caused by a plaque that is left on their teeth. When the study was conducted among teenagers with braces, the number jumped so high to 50% with braces. Braces usually complicate the removal of plaque from teeth, and this is the main sausage factor of white spots on teeth.
What is Decalcification?
- Orthodontists have been struggling to avoid decalcification of a patient’s teeth without giving limitations and expecting a high level of cooperation from the patient. Fluoride is one way of strengthening teeth and it makes the teeth to be resistant to demineralization by plague. The greatest question is the quantity of fluoride that should be used in order to prevent white spots and still have white healthy teeth at the same time.
How can I Prevent White Spots?
- If you would like to prevent white spots on your teeth, you should consider the following approaches which are grouped into three subdivisions:
- Hardening of the enamel surface
- Plaque removal
- Protecting of the enamel with a coating
- If you would like to prevent white spots, the surest way is plaque removal. Oral hygiene coaching is supposed to begin from the first day of visiting an orthodontist. In order to prevent plague, the practitioner provides the patient with a brushing chart, that he or she is supposed to follow during the entire treatment process, as well as foodstuff that the patient is supposed to avoid.
- It comes with a stern emphasis that the patient should highly avoid acidic soda. The importance of removing the plague can be explained to the patients by the use of charts, and pictures of people who have been affected by serious white spots on their teeth due to the failure of removing the plague on time.
Sorting Dents Left by Braces
- Tooth decay can advance and can leave actual holes in your teeth. These cavities may expose the sensitive pulp at the center of your teeth. A dental resin, crafted to match the overall shade of your teeth, can be bonded to the hole to seal it creating the appearance of a whole tooth.
7 Epic ways to Keep White Spots at Bay
- Electric Toothbrush – Using an electric toothbrush provides extra vibration which helps loosen plaque, making it easier to get your teeth clean. There are even toothbrushes designed for brace wearers with heads that fit around brackets.
- Super Clean Teeth – Brush twice daily, and floss everyday, this prevents buildup between the teeth and brackets, where most plaque starts to form.
- Fluoride – Fluoride is in tooth paste and all sorts of products. You cn also get a fluoride rinse to use after brushing that helps keep teeth strong.
- Water Flosser – Using a water flosser like Waterpik helps remove the plaque and debris between teeth and below the gumline, where it’s hard to reach with traditional brushing and flossing. Practically every orthodontic patient who has used a Waterpik comments on how much cleaner their teeth feel.
- Enamel microabrasion – Some people may be able to have microabrasion done to treat their white spots. During this procedure, a dentist removes a small amount of enamel from the teeth to reduce the appearance of the white spots. This professional treatment is typically followed by teeth bleaching, which can make the teeth appear more uniform in color.
- Reduce sugary Consumption – One easy way to prevent white spots is to avoid the products that help bacteria thrive.
Book a Consultation
Schedule a consultation with today to start towards a stunning smile. When you live in Ohio, it is easy to visit King Orthodontics. We have two facilities that are located in:
We offer a complimentary consultation after completing an examination with modern medical images. You can schedule an appointment with Dr. Sam King.
Our patients might need to wear orthodontic devices such as:
- Plastic Invisalign aligners created for adults and children
- Metal bracket and wire braces which are primarily worn by children
- Color-matching ceramic brackets that are not noticeable in your mouth
- Retainers that are worn when orthodontic treatment is almost completed
Like what you read? Comment below or CLICK on an APP LOGO to follow us and share the conversation
400 East Dayton,
Yellow Springs Rd.
Fairborn, OH 45324
Phone: (937) 878-1561
Do Braces Leave Horrible White Spots on Teeth (5 FACTS)