- 12 large dry sea scallops, (about 1 pound; see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 1/4 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto, (about 3 slices), cut into 12 long strips
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces baby spinach
- Place rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with lemon pepper. Wrap 1 piece of prosciutto around each scallop. Thread 3 scallops crosswise onto each skewer (securing the prosciutto to the scallop) and place on the prepared baking sheet. Broil until just cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon vinaigrette in a small bowl.
- Place spinach in a colander and rinse under cold water. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add handfuls of spinach (with water still clinging to it) to the pan and cook, stirring, until just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the spinach and add to the medium bowl; toss to coat with the vinaigrette. Divide the spinach among 4 plates and top each portion with 3 scallops. Drizzle the scallops with the reserved vinaigrette.
Recipe from Eating Well
Good Diet Good Teeth
Teeth are no different from the rest of your body in that they benefit from a nutritious diet. However, there are certain foods that are particularly good for teeth, and you can make a point of including meals in your family’s rotation that lead to healthier teeth and gums. Good nutrition is an excellent complement to invisalign braces and other treatments by your orthodontist that will contribute to a lifetime of strong teeth.
Even people who think about the connection between dental health and overall health may not realize that celiac disease can cause defects to dental enamel. These defects are not reversible, but a gluten-free diet can help prevent those defects. The key in making healthy meals is to cook something that is appealing to the taste buds as well. Gluten-free proscuitto-wrapped scallops with spinach is a delicious dish that is packed with nutrition for the teeth. Scallops strengthen the enamel on teeth because they have a lot of phosphorus. The vitamin B12 they contain is good for the gums. Spinach is one of the best things you can eat for your teeth. The calcium builds enamel, and they have plenty of B vitamins that also promote dental health. The protein in prosciutto is important in the structure of teeth.
Another advantage of this dish is that it is not damaging to teeth. While people might think of too much candy as being bad for dental health, they may not realize that there are other foods that can be harmful well. For example, people might be surprised to learn that crackers are not great for teeth because they convert to sugar. They also have a tendency to get lodged in the teeth. In addition to healthy meals, a trip to the orthodontist is a good way to ensure healthy smiles. Call King Orthodontics today to discuss invisalign braces and other products and services.
How to Schedule an Appointment
At King Orthodontics in Ohio, patients can request recipes that are designed to maintain the health of their teeth and gums while they are wearing Invisalign aligners. We have offices located in:
Our patients receive a state-of-the-art examination with three-dimensional imaging equipment to determine the best type of orthodontic treatments to repair misaligned teeth. You can schedule an appointment with an orthodontist by calling us at 937-433-0830. We have two knowledgeable orthodontists available, including:
• Dr. Jack King
• Dr. Sam King
We offer a complimentary consultation after an examination to discuss you or your child’s orthodontic requirements.
King Orthodontics, 400 East Dayton, Yellow Springs Rd. Fairborn, OH 45324
Phone: (937) 878-1561 Fax: (937) 433-9530
Gluten-Free Prosciutto-Wrapped Scallops with Spinach