- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp vegan Thai red curry paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 660g /1 lb 7 oz sweet potatoes, diced
- 400ml / 14 fl oz canned reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1 litre / 1¾ pints vegan stock
- Juice of 1 lime
- 30g / 1 oz finely chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
- In a large, heavy-based saucepan, heat the oil over a medium–high heat. Add the onion and ginger and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the curry paste and salt and cook, stirring, for a further minute or so. Add the sweet potatoes, coconut milk and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Purée the soup, either in batches in a blender or food processor or using a hand-held blender. Return the soup to the heat and bring back up to a simmer. Just before serving, stir in the lime juice.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander.
Recipe from Vegan Society
The Perfect Meal
Tasty vegan sweet potato soup is the perfect meal for someone who has just begun to wear braces. A patient’s gum tissue and teeth can sometimes feel sensitive as they begin orthodontic treatment, and a warm soup made of pureed sweet potatoes mixed with seasonings provides the nutrients needed to remain healthy. Many orthodontic patients must wear Invisalign aligners or other orthodontic treatments for as long as four years, and during that time, it is essential to continue consuming a diet that keeps teeth strong.
Modern Diagnostic Equipment
Finding an orthodontist with state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment is the best way to determine if aligners are required for your child’s teeth. With modern three-dimensional imaging, it is possible to view what will happen to your child’s mouth with or without orthodontic treatment. For mild misalignments, your child can wear clear aligners for up to a year, but for serious malocclusions, you child will need to wear braces for a longer amount of time. There are certain types of food that an orthodontic patient shouldn’t eat to avoid damaging brackets or wires, but delicious vegan sweet potato soup is highly recommended.
Call Us Today
In Ohio, adults, teenagers and children can visit King Orthodontics to have a complimentary consultation with an orthodontist. At our facilities, we have two experts, including:
• Dr. Sam King
• Dr. Jack King
We have two offices where we examine and treat patients, and you can call:
• Fairborn – 937-433-0830
• Centerville – 937-433-0830
Our patients are treated with customized orthodontia that includes:
• Invisalign – for teens or adults
• Clear braces – made of color-matching ceramic materials
• Metal – traditional metal brackets and wires
Schedule an appointment with us today for a complete evaluation to learn about the type of orthodontia required for you or your child’s teeth, and remember to ask about our recipe for vegan sweet potato soup.
King Orthodontics, 400 East Dayton, Yellow Springs Rd. Fairborn, OH 45324
Phone: (937) 878-1561 Fax: (937) 433-9530
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
Samuel B. King, D.D.S., M.S. – King Orthodontics – Specialist in Orthodontics for kids, teens and adults in Centerville and Fairborn.