- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fruit-flavored vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups sliced cooked chicken breast, (see Tip)
- 2 cups chopped melon, such as cantaloupe and/or honeydew
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Whisk sour cream, vinegar, sugar, poppy seeds, salt and pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Reserve 1/4 cup of the dressing in a small bowl. Add the mixed greens to the large bowl and toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates and top with chicken, melon, walnuts and feta. Drizzle each portion with 1 tablespoon of the reserved dressing.
Recipe from Eating Well
A Healthy Choice
While you might try to limit your own and your children’s consumption of sugar-laden drinks, when thinking about a healthy meal, you may not have considered what nutrients teeth need to stay healthy. It is much more common to consider whether or not the meal has too much fat or if it contains a good balance of proteins and carbohydrates. However, just like any other part of the body, teeth need certain types of nutrients to thrive. The last thing you want is to undo all the good work of invisalign braces or other work by your orthodontist with meals that do not support and contribute to healthy teeth.
A gluten-free chicken fruit salad is a balanced and healthy choice. Making a recipe gluten-free increases its usefulness. Even if no one in your family suffers from problems with gluten, this ensures that it can go from the dinner table to the office potluck to a picnic to help feed those with more restrictive diets.
The chicken in a chicken fruit salad provides the protein that is critical for the structure and tissue of teeth. Chicken is also high in vitamin B3, and this vitamin helps to keep breath fresh and prevent canker sores. The phosphorus in chicken is good for the enamel. Vitamin C is important for healthy gums, and fruit can provide this. Furthermore, fruit is far superior to fruit juice, which removes the fiber and leaves the sugar behind. Crunchy foods such as raw fruits and vegetables are also great for teeth. They can help dislodge plaque and create saliva that washes it away. Providing healthy meals for your family and making sure everyone gets the best orthodontic care possible are both important.
How to Schedule an Appointment
At King Orthodontics in Ohio, patients can request recipes that are designed to maintain the health of their teeth and gums while they are wearing Invisalign aligners. We have offices located in:
Our patients receive a state-of-the-art examination with three-dimensional imaging equipment to determine the best type of orthodontic treatments to repair misaligned teeth. You can schedule an appointment with an orthodontist by calling us at 937-433-0830. We have two knowledgeable orthodontists available, including:
• Dr. Jack King
• Dr. Sam King
We offer a complimentary consultation after an examination to discuss you or your child’s orthodontic requirements.
King Orthodontics, 400 East Dayton, Yellow Springs Rd. Fairborn, OH 45324
Phone: (937) 878-1561 Fax: (937) 433-9530
Gluten-Free Chicken & Fruit Salad