Last Updated on
What is Orthodontics?
A specialized branch of dentistry, orthodontics is the practice of misaligned teeth and jaws. When teeth are crooked they are also more difficult to clean, making them more likely to be lost as a result of tooth decay. Misaligned jaws can lead to TMJ and headaches due to muscle strain and joint problems. An orthodontist can help correct these problems while also improving your appearance.
Orthodontists are specialists. They must complete more than two additional years in an ADA-approved school following dental school. Your orthodontist in Dayton OH will provide a treatment plan tailored for you.
Common Problems Requiring Orthodontic Intervention
1. Overbites occur when the front upper teeth protrude too far out over the bottom teeth.
2. Underbites occur when either the bottom teeth stick out too far or the top teeth sit too far back.
3. Crossbites occur when the mid-line of the mouth is off, causing the teeth to not line up correctly.
4. Open bites are when there is space remaining between the front teeth when the back teeth are together.
5. Spacing refers to too much space between the teeth either occurring naturally or as the result of tooth loss.
6. Overcrowding is when the teeth are too crowded together.
If you think you could benefit from orthodontic care, schedule an appointment with our orthodontic office in Dayton today.
How Orthodontic Treatment Works
Orthodontists select from various fixed and removable appliances to apply pressure in order to gently move your teeth and jaw into the correct alignment and positions. The type of problems and severity of them help an orthodontist Dayton OH decide which particular appliances are best suited for your individual treatment plan.
Examples of Fixed Appliances
1. Braces are the most commonly used fixed orthodontic appliance. Braces are attached to either the front or back of the teeth using a special cement and are held to one another by attached wires. Orthodontists in Dayton OH gradually tighten braces as the teeth and jaw are moved into place.
2. Fixed Spacers are wires that are attached to two teeth to maintain space left when a child prematurely loses a baby tooth until the permanent tooth grows in.
3. Special Appliances include tools designed to prevent thumb sucking and tongue thrusting and are attached to the teeth with bands.
Examples of Removable Appliances
1. Aligners are a popular alternative to braces and include the Invisalign, which moves the teeth in the same way as do traditional braces but without wires and brackets.
2. Retainers are worn on the mouth roof and prevent your teeth from returning to the previous incorrect position.
There are many other appliances that orthodontic offices in Dayton OH use. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
Why More Adults are Choosing to get Adult Braces
More adults today than ever are taking the plunge and choosing to get braces or the Invisalign from orthodontists Dayton OH. Braces today are less bulky and visible. Some are clear and others are designed to be applied to the back of teeth, making adults less self-conscious about wearing them. Other options, such as the Invisalign, are clear and removable, making them popular choices.
Adults choose to get orthodontic treatment to correct many problems, including all of the following:
- Spaces or gaps between teeth
- Crowded teeth or teeth that are too pushed together
- Overbites or “buck teeth” that protrude out too far
- Underbites that can give a “bulldog” appearance
- Improperly aligned jaws that can cause painful TMJ symptoms and headaches
Many adults want to correct their dental problems to feel better about themselves as their appearances improve. Still others want to prevent more serious damage, including tooth decay and tooth loss, that can result from bite and alignment problems over time.
How to Know if Braces are a Good Option for You
If you suffer from tooth or bite misalignment, braces or a similar option may be right for you. If you schedule an appointment with an orthodontist, he or she will be able to diagnose your individual dental problems and design a tailored treatment plan for your needs. Call us today.
Why Early Orthodontic Treatment is a Great Option
Old yearbooks are filled with pictures of adolescents sporting the bulky metal braces of yesteryear. Those days are quickly disappearing as more parents are becoming aware that their children can receive orthodontic care at an earlier age than ever before. Orthodontists at orthodontic offices in Dayton Ohio will tell you they recommend children get orthodontic screenings by the age of seven, when most problems first become apparent as the permanent teeth grow in.
How to Make Braces Fun and Cool for Young People
To make braces seem more acceptable to children, let them choose the color of the elastics used with them. Elastics are available in bright colors to make them more appealing to kids. Children can choose their favorite or school colors if they wish.
Types of Early Orthodontic Problems
Orthodontists in Dayton OH may recommend early orthodontic intervention to treat all of the following problems in children:
- Severe tooth crowding
- Significant overbites
- Pronounced underbites
- Problems with jaw growth
- Crossbites causing the bite to be misaligned
Braces are no longer as stigmatized as they once were, instead becoming an American rite of passage for children everywhere. If your child has any of these issues, you should schedule an appointment with an orthodontist Dayton OH today to discuss whether early intervention is warranted in your child’s particular case.
Make Your Appointment Today
King Orthodontics is your trusted source when it comes to the field of orthodontics. Visit our website to discover the services that are offered and learn more about the dedicated professionals that are waiting to help you get the smile you deserve. Set up your first consultation for a thorough evaluation. From that point, you can learn if braces are for you and discuss the types of braces that are available. From colored braces to clear aligners, you have many alternatives that can help you to have a smile you will be proud of. You’ll be excited when it’s time to flash your pearly whites for the camera and any occasion, thanks to our team at King Orthodontics.
King Orthodontics, 400 East Dayton, Yellow Springs Rd. Fairborn, OH 45324
Phone: (937) 878-1561 Fax: (937) 433-9530
Finding the Right Orthodontist in Dayton Ohio
Samuel B. King, D.D.S., M.S. – King Orthodontics – Specialist in Orthodontics for kids, teens and adults in Centerville and Fairborn.